Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Reading and Writing in Brown


             Brown chapter twenty and twenty one is about different strategies between reading and writing to Second language learner. In chapter twenty, it talked about strategies for reading comprehension.  I believe reading comprehension is one of the hardest tasks to achieve as English Language Learners. Including myself, I know many ELLs struggle with reading. When I was in ESL, reading was very easy for me. Many ESL classes that I took focus on reading with short paragraphs. However, they didn't focus different strategies for reading comprehension when the students need to read a long paragraphs or book.  When I took ACT, it was so hard for me to get a good grade on reading. The reason is that I didn't know any strategies to read well. I was so used to read short paragraphs. Therefore, it was difficult for me to understand reading. Through my experiences, many ESL teachers focus on grammar and vocabularies rather than focus in reading and writing. However, there are many tasks to focus on to learn English. It is hard to teach every aspect of language domain. In my opinion, many ELL students don’t have hard time with writing. The reason is that it is easy to teach writing. In brown chapter twenty one had many different strategies to teach writing.  One of interesting strategies is using both top-down and bottom-up strategies. I thought top-down strategies might not helpful for the students.
             When I was reading Brown chapters, I was so happy to see these different strategies of different language domains. When I was reading these chapters, I was thinking, what makes a perfect teaching? Is fulfill all these language domains can be helpful? As time goes on, these different strategies should change and adapt for ELL students. 

No comments:

Post a Comment