Monday, January 30, 2012

Blog 2


This article talks about how immigrants are “negotiation of identities” (Pavlenko 15) with American culture. Many European immigrants negotiate with American culture. However, many Asian immigrants fail to negotiate with American culture. Many immigrants think that order to understand the language; they have to give up one of the cultures.
When I read this article, as much as I want to disagree, however, in reality, most of the things that author said I had to agree because it was true. The article stated that, “I have now been in America for nineteen years; I have grown up here as much as any man can; I have had my education here; I have become a citizen; I have given all I had of youthful zeal and energy in serving my adopted country; I have come to love America as I do my very life- perhaps more arid yet they still call me a 'foreigner'” (Pavlenk 6). When I read this passage, this described how I felt. I recently became a citizen of United States. I lived in U.S. for ten years. I spend my youth years in United States and I will in the future. I am Korean and I lived there for a long time. Many of my Korean friends think that I am too Americanized. Many of my non-Korean friends think that I am very Korean. I used to be very confused with my own identity. I felt like I got rejected by both of cultures that I live with. My English proficiency isn’t perfect as Americans but neither is my Korean. I was always questioning which cultures that I need to accept in order to get accepted in both societies. Then, I realized that I didn’t get rejected by both cultures, I am accepting both cultures which make me who I am. I understand the perspective of both cultures because I accept them. I don’t necessary agree with some of Korean norms or American norms. I just know and understand both cultures.
I agree that many immigrants’ especially Asian immigrants believe that they need to give up their native culture to become ‘American.’ Therefore, they give up using their native language. I had this argument with my friend on Sunday. She told me that many other immigrants or second generation kids understand their native language and speak perfectly. However, many Korean immigrants or second generation kids cannot speak Korean very well. She blamed that it is Korean parents which is 1st generation think that it is not necessary to teach Korean since they live in America. I believe that it is very hard for immigrants to accept some cultural norms that is opposite of their culture. Therefore, they are likely to give up their culture since they are living in America. I see many of my Korean friends. They are Americanized, or Koreanized. In Korean society, we have a name for it: Fob and Twinkie. Fob means “fresh off the boat” which is for immigrants who accept only their native culture. Twinkie is for usually second generation, which for people who reject their native culture and accept American culture. Usually, fobs and twinkies don’t like each other. Fobs don’t understand that twinkies are so Americanized when they are Korean. Twinkies don’t understand that why fobs keep their cultural norms so much when they live in the U.S. The relationship between fobs and twinkies are not bad now. However, a few years ago, it was worse. I still don’t understand why immigrants cannot corporate with each other. I don’t understand why many immigrants are so eager to learn American cultures. They don’t have to accept the American cultures, as long as they are inform about American cultures.
As a future teacher, I want to teach my students how to accept both cultures. My question is “How?” When I was struggling with my own identity, no one taught me how to accept. I know that both cultures are essential but no one taught me how to accept. I just had to figure it out on my own. Also, it is necessary to inform the parents that it is important to accept both of the cultures rather than only American or their native culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment