Monday, February 6, 2012

Blog 3, Language


The chapter two of Hall’s book is about how the language can be identifies individual’s socio-cultural status, and language can help people identify themselves. Since everyone’s identity is different, the language can be different. No matter what kind of the language is the person uses, their cultural perspective will be reflected in the use of the language. Norton’s article is very interesting. The article is talking about how language can change person’s social status, and the author did a research with Eva which was non-Native-English speaker.
            When I read these two articles, I was confused. Maybe the reason why I am confused is Hall’s article is view of non-essentialist, but I am not. I understand some immigrants cannot be themselves because of their limited language. However, I believe that it depends on the person rather than the language. My mom’s English is limited, however, no matter what situation she is in, she never let herself down. She was working with this teenager girl who always ignored my mom because of my mom’s limited English. However, every time when her co-worker ignores my mom, she stands up for herself. I did understand why Eva couldn’t stand up for herself. However, I don’t believe that it is necessary the language that made her not stand up for her social status. Everyone has different personality, different thought. Therefore, Norton’s research cannot be reliable.
There is a co-worker named, Na-na from my old job. She is never afraid of asking if she doesn’t understand. When she doesn’t understand the definition of the words, or meaning of the context, she isn’t scared to ask, and not be ashamed of it when she doesn’t know. I think that many immigrants, no matter where they come from, are scared to ask questions and admit that they don’t understand something which can make other people ignore the immigrants. It is very hard to encourage students to speak up in the class. I remember that many ESL students are very outspoken and loud in ESL classes. However, outside of ESL classes, they are quite. There is some reason why they act different. First, they feel comfortable in ESL classes than regular classes. Second, ELL students are scared to talk in the class, and scared that English-native-speaker might make fun of them even though it is not true.
Therefore, as a future teacher, how am I going to make our students to feel comfortable to ask questions no matter where they are at? Also, is it okay to encourage them to stand up for themselves when they need to? The more readings I do, as more I am worried about my future teachings.

No comments:

Post a Comment