Monday, February 13, 2012

Blog Post #4


The article of Kuma talks about the stereotypes of Asian cultures, and why do TESOL teachers have stereotypes. The main three stereotypes of Asians are obedient to adult figure, passive in the classroom, and lack of critical thinking. As much as I want to disagree on these stereotypes, I have to agree with the author. One of my friends went to South Korea for study of the broad. He was in a class, and asked his professor because he didn’t understand something. Everyone looked at him and the professor was very offended that he asked a question. He didn’t understand why. I asked one of my other friends who was an international student. He told me that many professors who teach in Korea believe that it is the not professors’ fault that the students don’t understand. This idea came from respecting elders.
            The article argued that Many Asian students are passive. However, when I was in ESL class, many students were not passive. They were active and liked to ask questions. However, many Asian students were so passive and quiet outside of an ESL classroom. I was one of them. Many ELL students have to come to a classroom where they have to speak the language that they are not used to. At least I felt that way. I felt more acceptable in ESL classes. In my opinion, people tend to judge foreigners based on the stereotypes. Is it really the culture? Or is it the fact that the students feel uncomfortable in the classrooms that make them passive?
I have stereotypes, and it is hard to ignore it. I was in my diversity classroom, and everyone in the classroom had to write stereotypes of each racial group. Asian was the only one that didn’t have any negative stereotypes. It was very interesting to see that. As a future teacher, how am I going to ignore stereotypes? What happens if I treated the students because of my stereotypes.








No comments:

Post a Comment