Sunday, September 23, 2012

Kumar and Brown


Brown chapter four is about twelve principles of L2 learning. One of interesting principle was principle four. Principle four is intrinsic motivation. The ELL students need intrinsic motivation to learn. The author further talked about how we need to motivate our students. Before I went into Bilingual education, I thought most of ELL students are motivated. However, I realized that some of the students are not motivated because of their personal problems or lack of their parents involvement. In one of bilingual classes, we watched this clip about Hispanic students. I was very surprised to see this clip because I thought all ELL students are motivated . I thought that it is important for teacher to be motivated order to make students to be motivated. My ESL teacher was so motivated to help me when I wasn’t interested in school work. However, because of her motivation, I became motivated. When I was reading these principles, I realized importance of these principles. However, I also thought that it is important for the teachers to constantly think about these principles and work hard to create good learning opportunities for ELL students. Chapter sixteen of Brown’s book is similar with chapter four. It talked about various principles and strategies to help ELI students. In Brown’s book, it talked about different ways to develop the self-awareness for students. It was really interesting because I did not think about how to self awareness for the students. In English 345 class, we learned about variety methods to teach ELL students. However, I wasn’t sure how to figure the methods that would work for each student. I realized that I can use these ways to figure out what kind of methods that I can use in the classroom. I think it is really important to teach strategies in the classroom. When I was an ESL student in high school, many teachers didn’t teach me how to do note-taking. When I went to college, I had hard time how to write notes during lectures. I think many ELL students need to learn 
Kumar chapter three is about maximizing opportunities for ELL learners. This chapter talked about how the teachers can create opportunities for students inside and outside of the classroom. Most of the examples that the author showed are something that I remember learning when I was in ESL. I liked this chapter because it showed the importance of creating learning opportunities for students. However, what if these opportunities aren’t available for some teachers? Some teachers are harder to connect community together outside of school. Some teachers don’t have enough opportunities. . 

No comments:

Post a Comment