Sunday, September 16, 2012

Three articles of different method


            The article of Stephen Bax is about how CLT method has led to failure. The author said that the main reason why CLT failed is that because CLT emphasized only on communicative skills but not emphasized on context. Then, author offered different approach which is lexical approach. The author said that “the Lexical Approach is the approach to follow no matter what the context—it will work, and it will work everywhere.” However, I disagree because I don’t think there is a perfect approach that will work on everyone. Also, the reason why CLT failed is that the teacher implemented CLT in a wrong way. How can people make sure that people aren’t going to implemented Lexical Approach differently than it suppose to be when it happened to CLT approach? How can we make sure that the teachers will be well- educated enough to teach Lexical Approach in a right way?
The second article is written by Guangwei Hu. The article is about the failure of CLT in China. The reason why CLT failed in China is that China’s culture and some main principles of CLT clashed against each other. Even though I thought that CLT would work great for the students, I knew that it wouldn’t work for many Asian students. Many Asian countries share similar cultural perspective. I understood why CLT isn’t going to work in China, and CLT might not work in Korea also. However, I think it is too soon to decide if CLT didn’t work in China. I thought CLT would be beneficial for Asian countries because of many Asian education lack communicative skills. However, in my opinion, instead of believing that CLT isn’t working and not using it, the educators can change the method of CLT a little bit, so that it can fit into Chinese cultures.  It will be hard to change cultural perspective in few years. At first, I thought, it will be great for teachers to learn about students. Then, CLT can work. However, I realized that people are used to live their cultural norms. It will take years, maybe decade, to change what they are used to believed in. When I came to United States, I was used to how Korean teachers taught, and it was hard for me to adapt how American teachers taught. After few years, I got used to how American teachers taught. The method that American teachers used to teach me few years ago didn’t work. However, after few years, it worked on me.  As teacher, just because I think it will be right for the students, it doesn’t mean that it is right for the students. However, it will be very difficult to implement CLT into Chinese culture.
The third article that is written by Peter Skehan is about different task of instruction. When I was reading his article, I realized that there are many different approaches that involved task-based. More varieties of different tasks are better for different students. Every student has different needs and learns differently. Every year, the students learn differently. And it is essential for educators to learn that we have to learn and study different methods that fit each student’s needs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment